Don't know why I'm up again...
Why?
I'm not sure.
Lately, I've been putting Kovi to sleep. The thing is, when he goes to sleep, someone needs to be in the room with him, or else he puts on a tantrum that wakes up the 430 dogs sleeping on our street (Don't believe that we have 450 dogs on our street? come to Cabo and see for yourself! No seriously... Come to Cabo... We're waiting!).
So, I usually lie down on my bed next to Kovi and wait for him to fall asleep.
But the past few days, the most incredible phenomenon takes place. Instead of Kovi falling into a deep sleep, I usually end up waking up in the morning with my clothing still on, not knowing where I am and how I got there, feeling all Tzublechert and everything.
So last night I fell asleep before Kovi, naturally. I woke up at 4:20am this morning and remembered that I needed to call some Rabbi in Budapest, to find out how to confirm the Jewish identity of some woman here... Oy! Shlichus.
Tonight is our CABO'lah class, which is really awesome. I love teaching Tanya.
Tomorrow we're once again resuming the S. Jose breakfast club, with bagels and lox breakfast, and the weekly Parsha... I hope people show up and it woiks out.
In other news, my brother Zvi recently asked me to post my top ten Jewish singers list...
In my last post, Zvi commented with his own top ten list. It's nice to see how every person defines and enjoys their music based on talent, or principles, or musical style.
My brother it seems, enjoys singers who have principles. He does not like singers who copy from Goyish songs... Which is why my brother puts Avraham Fried before MBD, because MBD has been known to copy several hit songs from Goyim. Interesting I say.
However I am slightly different. I will try and focus on pure, raw talent when I make my list. So here goes...
1 - I will choose MBD. I think that he is the king and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to ever take that away from him... Be it due to the fact that he was around when nobody else was, or that he is simply that good.
I have never heard him go even slightly off tune when singing live and his voice just carroes the world with it. He is amazing. The older albums especially.
Nowadays, his voice isn't as powerful as it used to be, but he makes up for his lack of range with his attention to detail on his modern albums. Every one of his latest albums are arranged and mixed perfectly.
2 - Avraham Fried. I think that he was the second one to ever come into the music scene on such a grand scale. He is incredible. His albums are all hits and there's a reason why he is the most sought after (and expensive probably) Jewish singer out there nowadays. I personally don't like his live performances, as he always seems to be slightly off pitch... But I never was at a live performance of his. I'm basing my opinion on the youtube clips that I've seen.
Nevertheless, he has a wonderful stage presence and I think he's just that good.
3 - Shlomo Carlebach. I don't like listening to his music and I personally don't like his voice. From his 100+ songs that he made, many of them are well known and awesome... But I don't think every song of his was a hit. However, there is no disputing that he changed Jewish music forever.
Since he never really had such a tremendous voice, neither were his guitar playing skills too great (I can't really imagine him playing guitar behind his back, let alone scratching his own back). I do think that what made him so big what the fact that he was real. In the hippie years, he was exactly what everyone was looking for. Some spiritual, interesting and real person. It inspired them to come back and all... He was the right guy and the right time. I think that if someone like him would come out nowadays, he wouldn't make it half as big.
I also think that all the people nowadays who are trying to copy him... are horrible. But that's Nogeah to my previous post.
There are not many Jewish people in the world who haven't heard of him and like Zvi said, Minyonim around the world are based on his music... That definitely takes something.
So, while I don't personally listen to his music and can't be critical, I do acknowledge that he is one of the most talented Jewish singers ever. He's my number 3.
4 - Abie Rottenberg. Like Zvi said, second to Shlomo Carlebach. What he lacks in vocal talent, he makes up in song writing and emotional expression. He is unbelievable.
Again, out of every ten songs that he make, two of them I like... Listen to his Aish albums and others... Lots of the songs are nothing special. But when he makes a good song, it is darn good!
5 - Yaakov Shwekey. Although I don't like giving the man credit for where he is, he deserves it. Yes, he may not be Lubavich or a friend to Lubavich. In fact, I've heard from someone who's actually heard him make some nasty comments about Lubavich, however as far as talent is concerned. He is extremely talented.
I don't like his voice.
He has amazing stage presence. He is entertaining on stage. He is dramatic and intense. People respond to his music and of each of his albums, a good 40% of the songs are hits. That's very hard to accomplish.
6 - Lipa. One of the most talented Jewish singers in the world by far. I personally don't like his voice. It's nothing special. But his Yiddish songs are original. He's extremely musical and he also has lots and lots of personality.
I've seen one of his performances live. I wasn't very impressed to be honest. While every appearance was in another style dress, I didn't find him very charismatic or anything... I personally am not a major fan of his. But I do see why people go crazy for him and he is definitely talented. I also love his Pushiter yid album.
7 - Moshe Yess. The only reason I'm putting him so low, is because I don't know him too well. I'm basing this all on what I heard as a kid and a video of him that I once saw. I was not around during his prime...
But watching the one video of him was enough evidence of his talent and charisma on stage.
He is also one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever seen.
Piamenta I don't relate to, because they play electric guitar, but Moshe... Oy Moshe... If only he would not have stopped, this world would be in a whole different place.
8 - Gad Elbaz. With all his Goyish copied songs and everything, which I can't stand. It's not ever like he tries to cover up the Goyish song with some other words... He copies the Goyish song to the 'T', except that instead of Baby, he'll stick in the word Brother or something like that... But nevertheless, his voice... I don't think there are any other Jewish singers nowadays who can do what he does with his voice. He has amazing range. He is dramatic and emotional... He also does some amazing Shtik with his voice. I think that if he weren't in the frum crowd, he would still be a superstar.
9 - Piamenta. They are undoubtedly the most talented Jewish musicians out there. I personally am not a major fan of their style music, but I will give them their due credit.
10 - Are you ready?... Eli Gerstner. I know. I know! You're all shouting at me and think I'm crazy.
I think that although I cannot stand his music anynmore and will probably not buy any more of his albums. I know that as soon as I hear any of his albums for the first time, I will be able to finish every song on the cd... I still thionk that he has made a considerable effect on Jewish music now. He is talented like anything...
He produces his own performers and albums.
He composes all the songs on each album.
He arranges all the music on the albums.
That takes lots of talent. Lot and lots of it.
I respect him for that. I don't think anyone else in the Jewish world does that. So, he gets number 10.
Other singers of mention:
- Glantz - I love him. He's electric on stage.
- Benny Friedman - I think he has a golden voice. I'm also rooting for him because he's Lubavich.
- Moshav - Don't like them. Don't listen to their music, so I can't judge them.
- Matisyahu - Don't like 98% of his songs. Only listen to the three that I do like. I think the music and video producers are better than his talent. But, he's at the top of his game and I respect that.
- Oif Simchas - I shouldn't even put them up here. I know they may have brought dance groups to the Jewish world... But they are over and done. I think they had their moment of fame.
I also stayed away from choirs.
If we were doing choirs, I only know of Miami Boys and Yeshiva boys.
But the choir that would take the cake, is definitely Montreal boys... Sholom Aleichem, oy yo yoy!
And finally, I'd like to take a shout out moment to mention a former classmate of mine from Argentina who, in my opinion will be winning the Jewish star.
He sings the right song, right music and doesn't overdo it at all.
A Jewish Star: Choni Grunblatt from COLlive.com on Vimeo.
Oh, you want me to give my criticism?? Ok!
He sings a very easy song to sing. I don't think he has anything phenomenal to show. But if he would enter the Jewish world and stick with this style, he would be perfect. Ithink that as soon as he sings a difficult song, it wouldn't be as nice as his audition video is.
Choni Grunblatt.
One of these days, I will post my criticisms and thoughts about the Jewish star thing-a-bob on the internet. I have lots of opinions on it.

4 Comments:
Nice list!Can't believe I forgot Gad Elbaz! You are 100% correct about his voice.
By the way, Diaspora also should get honorable mention. As should Dedi.
I've been to quite a few concerts, and judging by the ones I've been to, Moshe Yess was #1. He REALLY has stage presence.
Eli Gerstner has tremendous talent, and you are correct that every one of his songs can be lumped into one same category, and are easy to finish. He DOES deserve his #10.
Never saw Lipa on stage, and it sucks that he seems to have no presence. You would think... I mean if Dedi can...
Top 10 stage presences (from what I've seen and off the top of my head):
1 - Moshe Yess (UNREAL on stage)
2 - Shlomo Carlebach (his stage presence is his main reason for being so successful)
3 - Avraham Fried (you gotta be at one of his concerts. He is so relaxed and good)
4 - Dudu Fisher (have you ever seen him? if he were a bigger star in the Jewish world, he'd be #1).
5 - Yehuda Glantz (wild and full of different musical instruments).
6 - Dedi (He's hilarious and great).
7 - MBD (though all he does is bounce up and down for excitement or kick during 'Yidden').
8 - Yehuda! (rollerbaldes and a beachball to add some fun).
9 - Lipa Schmelzer (From what I've heard he doesn't live p to his hype).
10 - Yaakov Shwekey (has presence on stage, but not as hot as I'd thought).
I also have oodles of opinions on a Jewish star. My personal top 3 at the moment are:
1 - Avraham Ohayon. Doesn't his voice remind you of the kid in the Montreal Boys Choir who sang the solo 'Shivti-hi bive-heis hashem...'. It is pure honey, and he has total control of it. I love his finish. His piano skills aren't bad either.
2 - Boruch Sholom Blesofsky. I haven't heard him sing, so this really shouldn't be up there, but I like his spunk. I wonder if it can translate on stage, or if he's just good a music videos.
3 - Motti Flikshtein. His song sucked musicwise, but he has a talent with words. He put them together so well, it could have been a sonnet.
Honorable mention:
Choni Teitelbaum and the duet part of Dorai Nataniel.
The others, I didn't think much of (then again, I don't like Chazzanos).
lol, benny, besides the first two on your list, you personnaly don't like the remaining 8!
I think the Hershcovich brothers should put on a duet.
Shlomo Carlebach wrote close to 1000 songs, 100 of them are popular in his name, another 100 are so popular that people call them "traditional jewish tunes"...
Anyways, you have to make a differentiation between SINGERS and COMPOSERS, because Shlomo Carlebach and Abie Rottenberg are the best composers, and MBD is the best singer. Two different categories.
Zvi - No offence, but your three Jewish star winners are poopy (The kind with little pieces of sweet corn, from last nights barbecue). I don't agree at all.
Dovid - I guess you have a point there. I like the dorks I suppose.
Shoch - Like I said, I have no idea about Shlomo Carlebach, because I never listened to him. But you seem to be proving my point even more.
I am only speaking about people who have a right to put out albums. I don't care if they compose the music or if they sing it or if they only play the background harmonica. I'm talking about people who are original and present the world with something of their own that's nice.
But again, you have a point (Many good points...)
How's Kolel?? I hope you don't type away on your laptop all day in Kolel, like you used to do in Ottawa. I can see Heller going absolutely banana's if you did.
Post a Comment
<< Home