Thursday, December 31, 2009

First post in ages.

I know. I know. This isn't really the first post in ages... I've done several posts over this past week.

But this is the first time that I'm posting in order to post, rather than to just show the world that my blog is not dead.
(Are we alive because we're truly alive, or are we alive only because we weren't hit by a truck?)
(Oib ich bin ich vail du bist du, un du bist du vail ich bin ich, den ich bin nisht ich un du bist nisht du. Ober oib ich bin ich vail ich bin ich un du bist du vail du bist du, den ich bin ich un du bist du un mir kenen reden... I love that one)

I'm getting carried away.

Shmais radio is better than collive's radio. I just thought I'd let the world know.

And now, something else I wanted to confess about.
I was sort of wrong about my whole ajewishstar.com rant.
At first I thought that it would be an absolute failure. I figured why would Jewish and modest people try to run after being famous and becoming instant celebrities?? It's such a foolish thing and will not work. Only nerds and weirdo's will submit their auditions etc etc...

Well, I can't really get into details here, because I really don't want to offend anyone who auditioned and sees this (I don't even know who checks this blog anymore).

Although I still stand by my original statements pretty much. I did however somewhat change my view of the whole concept. Especially after I watched the most recent audition by Mendel Markel AKA Mendel the Shaichet.
He sings an absolutely beautiful niggun on the website. He doesn't have a good voice. I mean good voice as in a singer's voice. He can keep a tune and he is a Baal Menagen. But that's about it.

Anyways, I realized how beautiful the whole concept was. The way he described and presented the Niggun was so genuine, pure and inspiring.
I voted for him, only because I would love for such a guy to come out and sing for everyone at the Soul to Soul concert a Niggun. It would truly be something worth witnessing.

So, instead of viewing ajewishstar.com as an opportunity for the next Jewish super star singer to come out and have his 'big break'... I now view the show as a means to spread Chabad Niggunim and inspire all around us through music.

While I'm on the subject, I would like to let everyone know one of the things that gets me nervous about this whole jewishstar thingy.
I figured that it would be so simple and plain for everyone to see. But after speaking to so many people and getting other opinions, I realize that I actually need to post my whole theory on the blog, because apparently, it's not so simple.

And so...

People who know how to keep a tune, there are literally millions of them around the world.
How many Bochurim go around the world for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur and Davven for Shluchim in their Chabad Houses, because they know how to keep a tune.
Does that make them superstars?? Absolutely not. It makes them musical. But I wouldn't want to pay $14 to hear a CD that they produce, because they're going to sound like another Shloimy Dachs, Mendy Wald, Dovid Gabay, Pruz, Stein, Williger, Yeedle, Stark, Goldwag, Kessin and yes, in a way, Benny Friedman too. They're going to sound like everyone else.

I define stars and superstars by how much they would get paid to davven for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur.
Some of the qualifying questions on the jewishstar website should have included:
  • Have you even Davvened for someone for RH and YK?
  • How much did you charge for your last Davvening job?

I think that such a question would say lots about the person. Is he a $100-$1000 job? Maybe a $1000-$2000 guy... Perhaps he has connections and even makes up to $5000 for a good high holiday production.

If someone makes more than 10 grand for a High holiday service, then I would consider them worth considering to be the next Jewish star.

We need to go back to higher standards in Jewish music.

I have no beef with many Jewish singers who sing their own music. They write their own music and wish to contribute it to the world around them.

Singers who have interesting and 'different' voices are also cool. Here are several modern singers who I find legit and respect them in the music scene:

  1. Lipa - Talented, Yiddish compositions and original style.
  2. Yehuda - He's older and gone. But he had a different voice than the rest of them. Like it or not, it was something else.
  3. 8th day - They don't have special voices or anything like it, but they have talent, their own songs and their own style music.
  4. Shua Kessin - While I think he is marketing himself in the wrong way, trying to be together with all the other 'dorky' singers in Jewish music scene, I think that since he is singing his own songs, he has a right to do what he does... He has a talent for something and he is making it happen.
  5. Kugel - I never listened to his music. From his little youtube promotional video I think the music sucks... But it's his own music and he can produce it and sell it. Why not? He is talented. He's writing his own stuff and he has something to offer the Jewish world.
  6. Dov Shurin - He's blown and I love it. Also, very original.
  7. Yaakov Shwekey - Although he is sort of in the same boat as the rest of them, he is a level above all of them. He has an attitude and air around him of a superstar and he is amazing. I don't like him personally, but I respect his albums.
  8. MBD - The king, without a doubt. Even though his more modern albums lack the power that his voice once proudly displayed, he still has the gold.
  9. Avremel - Again, the first superstar on the scene (after the king)... He still has it all and even more. His voice is only getting better by the album and it has another good couple of years to it.
  10. Shlock Rock - Legit, original music.
  11. Country Yossi - Original and funny.
  12. MOshav - I don't like their music, but they are talented and nobody else does what they do.
  13. Yehuda Glantz - Talented like anything and has this amazing energy to him. His voice is also different than the rest.
  14. Diaspora - Amazing and original.
  15. Blue Fringe - I liked and they were quite original in their time.
  16. Abie Rottenberg - Hands down amazing.
  17. Moshe Yess - C'mon!
  18. Eli Gerstner - Original. I can't stand his music anymore. But he has a perfect right to do what he does. It's all his music and arrangements. The singers that he tries to produce are a different story altogether.

Many others too...

The point I make, is that the new face of Jewish music is being diluted with people who can 'keep tunes'.

Imagine a circle of people dancing at a wedding. They are holding hands, smiling at each other and dancing round and round in the circle. On the outside of the circle, their are many people who are enjoying the dancing, happily clapping their hands to the music and encouraging those who are inside the circle to continue dancing. The people who are inside the dancing circle are focused only on their own swaying feet and the feet of those swaying together with them.

They have no care about the people on the outside. The only reason they need the people on the outside to continue clapping, is because knowing that people on the outside are clapping along and getting entertained by their quick paced movement gives them the energy to dance harder, to move quicker and to remain in the circle.

This is the picture I see with the new and evolved Jewish music scene.

Anyone who is involved with the Jewish music world sees and knows that it's like the singers are in their own world. They are all the dancers inside the circle... They, I mean singers, big band musician players, producers, Jewish website media reporters etc...

I realized all this, when I read on a Jewish blog about a goodbye party that was recently celebrated in some restaurant a few days ago for Yosef Chaim Shwekey.

Apparently he's moving to Israel from Lakewood and so all the producers, singers and musicians from the Jewish scene threw him a goodbye party.

- By the way, I need to make this disclaimer: When I make fun of the Jewish music scene, I refer to the other, more modern, "know-how-to-keep-a-tune" singing fellows who make Jewish albums and try to come off as Jewish singers... -

They were all there and the best of friends.

Yosef Chaim Shwekey, Dovid Stein, other singers who I don't even know, Benny Freidman, Ozer Babad (producer), other band musicians etc...

Even the Jewish blogging media outlets were there, taking pictures and covering the story as if it was headline news... How pathetic. They all dance around in their own little circle, yet they depend desperately on the crowd on the outside - on us music fans who buy their music and idolize them - to help motivate them to continue.

A superstar shines above everyone else. He doesn't need to go to all these little programs and events, to get known around the world. The world will recognize him and come raise him up. You never see Avremel, MBD, Shwekey or even Lipa at any of these events. It's because they don't need to go. It won't make them any more popular or not. They are amazing and the world sees it. They don't have to run around, showing up to every little music event, just so people recognize them and get to know them.

Benny Friedman needs to stop associating himself with these small time singers. He has the potential perhaps to make it (that's what they say. He's Lubavich, so I want him to make it, which is why I write this). But he needs to become the superstar that he is and step away from the slums of the Jewish music world.

He needs to leave the crowd of $5000 for RH and YK people and join the $40,000 - $100,000 crowd. If he's that good, people will come after him.

Shua Kessin has his own music. I like that. I've never heard his album and judging from the little that I did hear, it's the same as everyone elses music, so I won't buy the album. But I think that since he writes his own music, he has what to offer. I think he needs to step away from the regulars. He needs to stop making everyone think that he's like the other, regular guys and let people view him for who he is... If he is that good and the world likes him, then they will come after him and he will be kept busy. If the Jewish world doesn't think that he is good enough, then he should continue writing his music, continue inspiring small crowds and all, but the public eye is not for him. He cannot make the cut and join in with the big singers.

And that is part of my music post.

I have much more on this topic, but it's late. Real late.

I also have stuff to speak about on the subject of Shlichus. Oy... So much to Farbreng about.

Gutte nacht.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hakadosh Boruch Hu Sheyichye said...

It's Zvi.

100% correct. Every word (except calling shlock rock and country yossi 'original' since every song of theirs is a pure copy).

My top 10 in terms of what they offer and what they've meant, historically, to the Jewish world (impactwise)?

1 - Avraham Fried: Started a little after MBD, and outlasted him. It looks like he has MANY years ahead of him, and alot more to give. His songs are ALWAYS head and shoulder above the rest. I cannot think of a bad song on any recent album of his.

2 - Mordechai Ben David: he's the king of Jewish music for a reason. And that reason is the fact that he started all modern Jewish music. He'd be #1, except for the fact that it was recently discovered that some of his songs were taken from Goyish music (Yidden).

3 - Abie Rotenberg: I'd call him the 'soul of Jewish music'. The word 'Dveykus' really describes him. His songs are sung everywhere, almost to Shlomo Carlebach levels. NO ONE has put out as many successful HARTZIKE songs as he has.

4 - Moshe Yess: his original, SOLELY ENGLISH, and simple songs hit a chord with many, many Jews. It's a shame he's gone. I can't think of any other Jewish singers (except for 8th day) that only puts out English songs. He defined a generation, and his songs are still poignant.

5 - Piamenta: Technically they should be #3 based on their skill, but the fact that they use so many Goyish songs drops them to #5, in my opinion. Their concerts are almost electrifying, particularly when Yossi plays guitar behind his back.

6 - Lipa Schmelzer: I rank him high, because he is the singer with the most spunk and attitude. He is the only one out there with character. And lame as his videos may be, he is a superstar and in my opinion, rightfully deserves it.

7 - Oif Simchas: I remember when they first came out. No one, and I mean NO ONE dared to make good Jewish dance music. In the early days, everyone thought they were a 'here and gone' thing. 5 CDs later, they are still around and about, and will probably keep being successful. They CREATED Jewish dance and remained at the top.

8 - Matisyahu: He has to be in here. And had he remained true to his roots, he'd be top 3 material. He certainly has the talent to be. But we'll see what happens - if he can manage to win back the frum crowd as he once did.

9 - Yaakov Shwekey: The best of the current singers. Every CD is a hit. He DOES carry 'superstar' swagger, and has a superstar voice. He may just be the voice of todays Jewish music scene.

10 - Moshav: they have their fans, but I'm not one of them. I find most of their songs not Jewish. I don't think they'll ever really be defined as a band that captured the frum world, but they DO have some good songs, and have lasted a looong time.


What do you think of this list, Benny? One last thing: Blue Fringe are not a thing of the past. Don't write 'in their time'. For all you know they could put out a superstar album tomorrow.

As for some that didn't make my top 10 which you mentioned (or not):

-Yosef Karduner: up there, but not far enough.

- Eli Gerstner: on the same level as Dachs and friends.

- Yehuda Glantz: perhaps the most talented Jewish singer out there (makes up his own music, and plays like 7 instruments), but his tunes aren't catchy enough, and he was never a star

- Shlock rock: and all other pure imitators cannot be in a top 10 Jewish singers/groups list.

- 8th day: they are unique, but only are 3 albums in, and not yet big enough.

- Yehuda!: Much as I LOOVE his music, he is no superstar (though he DID have stage presence).

- Choirs: don't go into the caegory, but if they did, Miami would be the only ones to make it in. The only reason Jewish boys choirs are popular is because of them. I'd put them #3, but no other choirs would make it.

Sunday, January 03, 2010  
Blogger the Mitzvah man! said...

Zvi, I like the way you put everything into a list.

In this article, I wasn't trying to put anything into top ten lists or anything. I was giving legitimacy to singers and the fact that they put out albums.

You once said an unbelievable line "Any snag that didn't make it to Godol Hador becomes a singer"

It's very true (sort of) and that's primarily what I was complaining about.

Shlock Rock and country yossi, although they copy from the Goyish world, they still offer the Jewish world something original - Cute and humorous copies of oldy Goyish songs.
Gershon Veroba and his adaptations was a copy of them and that was cheesy.

You mention purely english songwriters... Destiny was amazing in their time. They had originality.

Here's what I'm saying...

If you play guitar amazing and compose your own songs and you want to publicize it to the world, then by all means, go ahead. You have a talent and a right to show the world something new and present your own compositions.

If you play drums amazing and compose your own songs (raya mehemna), then I don't care if you're good or not... You could even play off beat, you still have a right to make an album.
Why?
Because YOU have something that you want the world to see.

If you have a voice that's different from everyone else, then show it to the world. You have something else that nobody has and the world should see it.

If you don't have such a great voice, but have amazing stage presence, then you should perform and maybe even make an album. You have something different... You get the point.

But if you know how to keep a tune and sometimes are asked to sing at a Bar Mitzvah or something, then don't go around making albums and trying to become a singer. There are 2 billion other people in the world that can keep a tune and sing just as well. If you're singing some other persons music and some other guy's composition, then don't try and be a superstar.

So while you made a top 10 list, which I pretty much can agree on. I was in no way making top 10 lists.
I was merely giving the rules of being legitimate in the Jewish music world.

Which is why, although Dan Hartal is way at the bottom of any top 10 list, he still graced us with his own compositions and his own, horrible music

Monday, January 04, 2010  
Blogger the Mitzvah man! said...

And Avraham Fried, Mordechai Ben David and Yaakov Shwekey have a big right to put out albums... Their voices and stage presence are stupendous and that is something original... We need more of in the Jewish world.

Monday, January 04, 2010  
Blogger the Mitzvah man! said...

Zvi, I also can't believe you don't mention Carlebach. He's one of the best ever and is even before MBD.

Monday, January 04, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zvi again. I'd like to see your top 10 list.

Benny, the reason for no Carlebach is because I personally don't like his music.

But he should definitely be up there. I'd even put him #3. I mean, here's a guy who has MINYANIM singing only his songs. That's something special.

Monday, January 04, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, can you email me Rabbi Kotlarski's email address, or find it out for me?

Monday, January 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Website Counter