From a previous post saved to my computer...
- Did you know that 98.6 percent of people who wear skintight speedos will vote democrat (liberal)
So I've been thinking again:
People who live in Israel are generally much more cautious than us Western, free loving American, terroristically naiive citizens. Does that mean that they are freer, or more enslaved than us?
Let me explain: One really cool, eye opening memory of my short time spent in Israel was while I was walking through Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv.
I had been freshly married and this was my first (and only) trip to the holy land. While walking through the lines in the terminal, with my new talis bag tucked neatly under my arm, I heard someone from behind me calling my full name, including my last name.
I turned around to see who it was, but nobody I knew was there. So I continued walking.
Again I heard the voice calling me from behind.
This time, when I turned around, I saw a total stranger smiling at me and coming towards me. He was older, maybe in his 40's and was obviously Israeli, though I had no recollection of seeing him before. Anyways, he comes and shakes my hand and tells me that it's so nice to see me again. I, being all confused, smile back and say hello, but then ask how I know him, or how he knows me.
The Israeli then tells me that I could have easily been a victim of terror. He points down to my talis bag, where my entire name is clearly spelled out so everyone can see. He explains to me that if a terrorist were to read my name and call me, just like he did, I would lose my guard to him and would be an easy victim to target... So he explained that I need to remove my name from the talis bag, just in case.
I never did remove the name from the bag, but that experience left a deep impression on me. I was exposed to the kind of mentality that every Israeli naturally lives with. Everything they do is carefully thought out, making sure to be in the safest situation possible at all times. It's just their way of life. I can't blame them. The environment they live in makes them so cautious and seemingly overly-obsessed to us clueless Westerners.
And here I am, totally oblivious to the possible disaster that can befall me, all because of my bag of recklessness that I carry under my arm wherever I go (even though the tefillin certainly protect me... I'm talking 'bout the bag).
So, which of us is really free? Am I a free man? Does my lack of emotional anticipation for the worst case scenario mean that I have less worry on my conscience and therefore I am freer as a person? Or perhaps is my ignorance of the possible dangers proof that I am so enslaved to a culture of cluelessness and naivete? And what of this Israeli fellow? Is he free? Does the dangerous society that he lives in, where terror is as existent and real and the shining sun cause him to be enslaved to this 'ever-so-careful' mentality? It means that even when he bends down to tie his shoes, his mind is anticipating and worrying about the worst case scenario. Is he a slave? Or is his control and meticulous movements a sign that he truly knows what may be ahead and is ready for anything? Although his life is lived with more care and safety on his mind, perhaps he is the truly free one. He truly rules his life and doesn't allow ignorance and Western stupidity to dictate his every movement.
This was one of the thoughts swirling in my mind over the last few days. Any help?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home