Na-Nach #1
Here are some pictures of our Lag Baomer event last night. It was beautiful and everyone loved it. Baruch Hashem!!!
---
I have a new series which I'm beginning. We're going to call them Na-Nach's.
Na-Nach is the Roshei Teivos for "Not for Neshei Chabad's.
Basically, as a Shliach, I'm inevitably going to have Shlichus stories. Some of them are inspiring and Jewishly Kosher. Those are fitting to perhaps one day be submitted to a Neshei newsletter.
However, our new addition of stories, the Na-Nach's will be those humorous or depressing stories that you would never see in a Neshei Chabad Magazine.
And so...
Last night by the bonfire, I got into conversation with two of our Israeli locals here in Cabo. They are both intermarried and have children Hoyo Loi Sihye.
They were discussing going camping and how beautiful the weather was etc... I was casually eating the last of my burger and partaking in the convo, although I'm no maven when it comes to setting up camp and living out in the wild. At least not nearly as knowledgable as these elite Israeli IDF unit-persons-army Mentchy's.
So while the conversation is happening, one of the daughter's asks her daddy in front of me
"Aba, is the Rabbi able to come camping with us one time?"
Everyone looked at me to see how I'd reply.
"Of course!" I said with a smile. "Except of course if the camping is on Shabbat or holidays."
Thus began a new conversation. The Israeli's were intrigued with what could possibly be wrong with camping on Shabbos or Yomtov... We wouldn't use electricity!! We certainly don't need to drive!! We can bring Kosher food and pray all day!! Isn't that the most beautiful Shabbos a person can have.
Here I was able to comfortably join in to the heated discussion. I began to explain about the possible issues that might arise with camping on the beach. No Eruv! Walking on the sand when it is not necessarily needed! No light at night and the various problems that might come up...
They were interested in all this.
"Rabbi," ask Gil, one of the two Israeli fellows... "If we would prepare the bonfire on Friday before candle lighting; Would we be able to add pieces of wood to the fire on Shabbat itself?"
I smiled and explained to him that no, that would not be allowed on Shabbos.
"Well," he smiles, as he jerks his friend Eran in the ribs... "We don't need to worry about that problem. We have our own Goyim who can do the work for us!"
They both laughed.
I looked down and finished my burger. But deep down, in the bowels of my heart, I was rolling with laughter.
Not for a N'shei Chabad!!!
And therefore, this is the first of my na-Nach's.
Ciao for now. Next up... Pictures of the barbecue.
---
I have a new series which I'm beginning. We're going to call them Na-Nach's.
Na-Nach is the Roshei Teivos for "Not for Neshei Chabad's.
Basically, as a Shliach, I'm inevitably going to have Shlichus stories. Some of them are inspiring and Jewishly Kosher. Those are fitting to perhaps one day be submitted to a Neshei newsletter.
However, our new addition of stories, the Na-Nach's will be those humorous or depressing stories that you would never see in a Neshei Chabad Magazine.
And so...
Last night by the bonfire, I got into conversation with two of our Israeli locals here in Cabo. They are both intermarried and have children Hoyo Loi Sihye.
They were discussing going camping and how beautiful the weather was etc... I was casually eating the last of my burger and partaking in the convo, although I'm no maven when it comes to setting up camp and living out in the wild. At least not nearly as knowledgable as these elite Israeli IDF unit-persons-army Mentchy's.
So while the conversation is happening, one of the daughter's asks her daddy in front of me
"Aba, is the Rabbi able to come camping with us one time?"
Everyone looked at me to see how I'd reply.
"Of course!" I said with a smile. "Except of course if the camping is on Shabbat or holidays."
Thus began a new conversation. The Israeli's were intrigued with what could possibly be wrong with camping on Shabbos or Yomtov... We wouldn't use electricity!! We certainly don't need to drive!! We can bring Kosher food and pray all day!! Isn't that the most beautiful Shabbos a person can have.
Here I was able to comfortably join in to the heated discussion. I began to explain about the possible issues that might arise with camping on the beach. No Eruv! Walking on the sand when it is not necessarily needed! No light at night and the various problems that might come up...
They were interested in all this.
"Rabbi," ask Gil, one of the two Israeli fellows... "If we would prepare the bonfire on Friday before candle lighting; Would we be able to add pieces of wood to the fire on Shabbat itself?"
I smiled and explained to him that no, that would not be allowed on Shabbos.
"Well," he smiles, as he jerks his friend Eran in the ribs... "We don't need to worry about that problem. We have our own Goyim who can do the work for us!"
They both laughed.
I looked down and finished my burger. But deep down, in the bowels of my heart, I was rolling with laughter.
Not for a N'shei Chabad!!!
And therefore, this is the first of my na-Nach's.
Ciao for now. Next up... Pictures of the barbecue.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home