Yechi or not Yechi. That is the question.
Started the new job in Crown Heights and it goes very, very slowly. Mostly, because I'm trying to contact other people who are busy with their own lives and I can't move forward with the project until I speak with them... Oysh!
Michael Bloomberg is the new Mayor of New York and I don't know why everyone is upset at him. I'm not trying to be controversial at all. I really don't know anything about New York politics. I also don't care much about New York politics, so I don't understand why everyone gets so frustrated about these things.
Obama on the other hand, is an exciting issue to discuss.
In other news, I am in Crown Heights and bored. Trying to fundraise, but things are not going to well.
It takes loads and loads of guts to pick up the phone and ask someone to help support a cause that you are dedicating your life to.
The funniest part about it, is that when I'm lying in bed and fundraising seems to be but a distant, hypothetical dream, then the notion of asking someone to donate money to Chabad seems so simple and non-dramatic. I feel so comfortable with going out and fundraising. But that feelings instantly disappears when I actually pick up the phone and decide to make the phone call. All of a sudden, these thoughts of rich men cursing me under their breath and dreading my friendship start floating through my mind and I become terrified of making the phone call.
I am fundraisingly schizophrenic.
Oy!
Michael Bloomberg is the new Mayor of New York and I don't know why everyone is upset at him. I'm not trying to be controversial at all. I really don't know anything about New York politics. I also don't care much about New York politics, so I don't understand why everyone gets so frustrated about these things.
Obama on the other hand, is an exciting issue to discuss.
In other news, I am in Crown Heights and bored. Trying to fundraise, but things are not going to well.
It takes loads and loads of guts to pick up the phone and ask someone to help support a cause that you are dedicating your life to.
The funniest part about it, is that when I'm lying in bed and fundraising seems to be but a distant, hypothetical dream, then the notion of asking someone to donate money to Chabad seems so simple and non-dramatic. I feel so comfortable with going out and fundraising. But that feelings instantly disappears when I actually pick up the phone and decide to make the phone call. All of a sudden, these thoughts of rich men cursing me under their breath and dreading my friendship start floating through my mind and I become terrified of making the phone call.
I am fundraisingly schizophrenic.
Oy!

1 Comments:
Was havin a convo w/ a Shliach and fund-raising came up. He claimed the difficulty lay in ego. Is it so painful for you to ask s/o to put on tefillin? To bentch after eating? To come hear the Megillah? Why is it so hard for you to ask them to give tzedakah? Forget about yourself for a second--you're giving them a chance to do a huge mitzvah! Tzedakah tatzil mimaves! Tzedakah brings Moshiach closer! It's a favor for THEM. Ah, so you happen to be benefiting as well? Nu, that's not his business. And anyway, YOU'RE not benefiting. The people eating your Shabbos food and coloring your art projects and jumping on your trampoline are benefiting.
Good luck.
Post a Comment
<< Home