Friday, June 20, 2008

Hashbrocho Tochis!!

Okay, I don't know why this is happening to us... I've come to the conclusion that the fact that we are so royally messed over this Shabbos is because of two possible
reasons...
1) Hashem realizes that my blog is so boring lately and that nothing 'exciting' is happening in my life as of late, so he spices things up and messes us over. Royally!
2) Hashem has other reasons that are not capable of being grasped by us lowly creatures.

Anyways, bear with me, while I tell a tale of loss, disappointment and humiliation.

Yesterday was our big day. We were planning to rent a car and drive up to Montreal for Shabbos and Sunday. That way, we would be able to enjoy a wonderful Shabbos with family. We were especially looking forward to some quality time with my brother who's a Shliach in Stavropol, Russia and came into town just for a short time, while waiting for his wife to give birth in Canada, which coincidentally, happened this past Sunday. That meant that there was going to be a Bris on Sunday morning as well, and we were planning to be present for that too.
Plans were going smoothly.
I rented a car and was ready for the long journey ahead.
A friend of mine called from Canada and asked if he could come along with us when we return to New York on Sunday night. We obviously agreed to it, happy to help a fellow friend who was trying to get to New York.
Another cousin of mine saw me in 770 yesterday morning and, when he found out that I was planning a trip to Montreal, he asked me if he could join us for the ride to Montreal. He needed to get there, because on Sunday he was driving with his parents to Toronto for another cousin's wedding and he didn't really have a way into Montreal... Of course, after asking the wife, we readily agreed to it as well. This was so cool!!! Here we are making a casual trip to Montreal, and we're already getting so many Mitzvois and Zechusim to bring along with us... And to just think about all that Oilam Habo that we would acquire for it all!!
Anyways, like I said before, we were delighted. But the story doesn't end there.

Sonia's sister calls her up from the road. They are on their way to New York from Toronto and they don't have anywhere to stay.
"For sure! Stay by us for Shabbos. After all, nobody is going to be there and we would be more than happy allowing your family of six to stay in our small and humble home."
(Another couple of brownie points for the 'One Above's' big book.)

So all was set, my cousin was waiting for us to pick him up and whisk him away to Montreal. We finished packing everything - Even the sandwich bags - and Sonia's sister with her Mishpocha arrived at the house. They were exhausted from the long journey and were desperate to rest up... But... One second...
"Where is the wife's Passport?"
"If her Social security card is right here, then the Passport should be right next to it!"
"Is it under the bed?"
"No!"

...

We searched the entire house thoroughly. We looked and looked and looked for hours, all to no avail. My wife's passport is absolutely nowheres to be found. At about three in the morning, with the house packed to capacity and beyond, we needed to rest from the disappointment and frustration buildup so we crashed.
I'm too embarrassed to even get into detail about how we crashed, on the other hand, it's something I never ever want to forget, so I'm just going to say it, but to save the embarrassment, I will say it in Yiddish.

Vibald mir hoben nisht gehat genug platz far alemen tzu shlofen ineveinik in di hoiz, is mir hoben gelozen Sonia's shvester's Mishpocheh tzu shlofen in der heim, un Sonia, di baby un mir hoben geboit di 'tent' vos mir hoben gehat in di 'closet'... iz mir hoben dos geboit in der gorten un geshlofen indroisen far di gantzeh nacht. S'iz geven Mamosh a geshmakeh shlof. mir hoffen tzu dos ton asach mer mohl IY"H.

...


And that is my life with most of the details.
We are in Crown Heights for Shabbos and we will try to spend it joyfully, accepting all the hurdles that Hashem thrown our way.

Ich veis nisht voo mir velen shloffen haint bai nacht. Ober der Aibishter vet zicher helfen.

Perhaps Motzaei Shabbos I will go into Montreal for the Bris. I will go into town and head straight back home. I will take my cousin along as well. That way he won't miss the wedding... Oy Hashem, I love you... But come on!

Good Shabbos!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonia losing her passport? This sounds way to familiar... Did you check the restaurants you ate by before ;) hahaha how was the Shabbos? I could imagine it was quiet "comfy"

Sunday, June 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Website Counter