Sunday, March 21, 2010

Finally, finally!!!

Pesach is almost upon us. We need help.

Physical, financial, spiritual, emotional. Help in every way!!!

I haven't been on this blog in forever. That's because I've been so darn busy with so many things going on, that at night time I seem to just crash.

Finally, on this Motzaei Shabbos, I've decided that enough is enough. I cannot hold off for much longer. I need to finally update my blog.


It's amazing how Hashem Yisborach always helps out with everything that we need, just when we need it.

I honestly do not know how we're going to cover Pesach. But it will happen... Money is being drained from us, while we pay for
  • Matzos and wine
  • Importing Kosher Lepesach food from Mexico City
  • Renting tables and chairs for our Seder
  • Printing signs and cards for our Seder
  • Importing chicken and meat from Guadalajara and Mexico city
  • New fridge for Pesach
  • Kitchenware and other foods that we need for Pesach
  • Rent
  • Electric bill
  • Phone bill
Things on Shlichus get out of hand expensive. Who's have ever thought.

***

In other news, Shabbos was cool. But I think the community is getting used to the idea of not showing up for Minyan. It's like they're okay with staying at home or going out to party while the rest of the community will make it up.
We didn't have a Minyan again last night. It was tough. We had like 25 people in all. But it was not good enough to make a Minyan. Such a shame. I really need to go on the offensive again with getting Minyonim together.

***

And Zvi wanted to hear my thoughts on a Jewish Star.
It's waaayy!! Over and I'm way over it. But I'll give some quick thoughts about it all:

  • Choni should have been in the competition. He was the clear best shot of all of them. I would like to know why Avraham Fried and this Sojcher dude got totally carried away with imaginations and judging the guy based on his video... Horrible judgement.
  • They were all horrible performing. The question was only who was the least horrible.
  • Binyamin Moshe was the clear winner... However collive made a huge mistake by posting the video of them all singing Piha Poscho by some wedding a few days after the concert. It showed how Binyamin Moshe had the worst voice of all three. He's trying to hit notes that he wouldn't have been able to hit in a thousand years. It was dreadful.
  • The only reason Binyamin won, was because he was comfortable with his song. It was something that he recorded and it was his style. The other ones were too uncomfortable with trying to sing songs that weren't necessarily theirs or their styles... Whatever.
  • Mendy Pellin was hilarious by the concert. He was one person that I enjoyed watching.
Any comments on that Zvi?

***

In a way I feel real bad that my parents are coming to Cabo for Pesach. I felt bad in the beginning, but I was talked out of my feelings then. Now, in the last week before Pesach, those horrible feelings are creeping back in again.

It's been tradition in our family (as with almost every other Jewish practicing family on earth) to all get together on Pesach at Ta and Ma's house (or Bubby and Zeidy's house for those that it applies to) and spend the Seder together as a wonderful family.
This has been going on since I was a kid. Whether or not one of the siblings was able to physically partake in the annual family get together, it didn't change the fact that at heart, everyone was together.

This year is the first year in Hershcovich history that everything is going to change. There will be no Seder at Bubby and Zeidy's house. No Seder at Tatty and Mammy's house. No central Seder for the Hershcovich clan will be happening. That's because I have invited my dear parents to join the Cabo Jewish Center in our Pesach celebrations.

They agreed. It'll be a breeze for them. After all these years of going crazy trying to properly prepare for Pesach and hosting tens of people at their humble home for both nights, finally they can sit back, relax and enjoy the taste of freedom from slavery, while they sip wine and crunch on delicious Matza in beautiful Los Cabos, Mexico.

It couldn't be better than that.

However, I feel sort of like the one responsible for breaking the yearly tradition. It's on my conscience day and night... I guess I will get over it eventually.

So while the Hershcovich family disperses around the world this year's Pesach, I hope they are all forgiving enough to accept my apologies. I truly didn't mean to hurt anyone at all. I didn't mean to break a custom and tradition that has always meant so much to all of us.
I just wanted to give Ma and Ta a break. I didn't mean for it to trouble or hurt anyone.

I'm sorry.

***

Kovi and Menny are Keinahora adorable.

Well, if adorable is able to apply when a child is tearing up the entire house, throwing bags of salt and flour around, then it applies to Kovi as well.

I love him anyways... Check out this 'raw' video of him. Sonia took it. She was on the phone.





I am going to sign off, porque I have a load of things to do tomorrow. In fact, this coming week is going to be absolutely insane!!!

I am a slave!
Let me out!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Zvi said...

Ok, here are my thoughts.

Choni was disqualified in my opinion, because he's a well-known singer in South America. The 'excuse' of him using his hands is ridiculous, see Avraham Fried in his latest promotional video for lag baomer. Besides, this was about singing, and Choni's quality of voice was the (second) best.

- I wanted to write up a long and detailed list of my thoughts, but as far as perfomances was - I agree. They all were bad. Ohayon has the best voice, but he is the worst performer. He really needs lessons.

He looked terrified of being on stage, and hit a false note somewhere in his singing. I like how he refunked the Avraham Fried song. I think he made it better than the original, and he might be able to carve a niche in the Jewish singing world doing just that, but he must learn how to become a performer.

The worst part of Ohayon's performance was when he started clapping above his head. The clapping was off-beat, which made you expect that the music would up the pace, but instead it continued on its slow pace, and Ohayon looked a little embarrassed for having chosen to clap.

Nonetheless, from the wedding video COLlove had on, you can clearly see that he has a golden voice. The others strain at the high parts, while he hits every note with ease.

- Shuki Sadon is very much loved by the commenters on COLlive, probably because he is the one who puts out a truthfully Chassidish vibe. I don't find his voice outstanding, but it's quite powerful.

He sang ok in the final performance, but looked very nervous. I don't like how he appeared to be closing his eyes and shutting the crowd away, as though he wanted to be singing in the privacy of a studio.

But I think he has a future in his own niche, as he really represented truly Chassidish and Lubavitch music.

- Binyamin Moshe you are 100% correct. His smile was winning and he had some presence, but it wasn't really that much, and it was helped by the fact that he brought his guitar.

His voice is awful - true, as proven by the wedding video, but he can also become a successful Jewish singer. His song DOES rock - it is very memorable, and if he can compose his own songs he can be another guy who has a guitar and sings good songs but has no good voice (see Shlomo Carlebach, Chaim Dovid, Piamenta).

- Avraham Fried is such a dork. So is Benny Friedman. I thought they'd be much cooler in person.

- Sojcher was a good judge, but his comments were also dorky. They were missing a 'Simon' sort of judge.

- Pellin was in top form, and had me rolling. This is why he is the top Lubavitch comedian. some of his lines were on the spot. He has no shame and made the show.

- Next year I'd have Mendy Pellin host the show, with the judges being 3 new people. I'd like to see Lipa be one of them, another should be someone more harsh on the contestants, and another can perhaps give a Chassidish perspective.

Who do you think the judges for next year should be? And what d you think of my thoughts?

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger the Mitzvah man! said...

I agree with about 90 percent of your comments, except for:

I think Choni should have been in the performance. He was not legally disqualified as there is nothing wrong with singing at weddings all over the world. As long as he hasn't been on a professionally sold album.
Even if they want to disqualify him, they should be clear about it and not beat around the bush with obvious stupidity!

I don't think Ohayon has a 'golden' voice. I think he can keep a tune. In fact, his voice seems like there's a toothpick stuck inside. It is in no way crisp. The only thing he did have was the ability to basically keep to the tune and also has an interesting Shtik to his style of singing. He made a fool of himself on stage.

They all did. I can't say which ones the best for me, because none of them were.

I didn't want to mention what I thought of the judges and the MC, because I'm afraid one of them might read my blog (talk about my ego!!! Woohoo!!... No... For real... You never know when something might come around and bite'cha)

I thought Mendy Pellin was fantastic. The only thing I really didn't like about him, was when the judges were voting before the show, he kept saying that he's not a professional in music... That's the worst thing he could have done. It automatically disqualified his opinion as far as vocals were concerned. It made him look like he didn't belong there. A big mistake for him. But he made up for it at the concert with his hillarious quips and comments.

He's not the best Lubavich comedian out there... he's the ONLY one out there.

Mendy hosting the show is a good idea. He's more charismatic than Benny no doubt.

I don't know who I would pick for judges next year, but LIPA is an awesome idea.

I don't know who Simon is... But in the Jewish scene, I don't think that a mean and snappy guy is expected. It's good they didn't get someone like that or there would be lots of complaints.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Website Counter