Purim, but I still need to compare and show!
In my opinion, it was a mistake to choose Avraham Ohayon as a winner. Chony Grunblatt should have beaten him and everyone else by an easy mile.
I don't know why the judges made such a tremendous error. I think it was intended that way. I don't know.
But anyways, just to show how badly Avraham Ohayon did... here is his video up against the one who sang it... Ohad... Never try to copy a song that someone else sings 1000 times better than you. If you do want to sing the same song, then you need to do something to it to make it original and different than the compared singer.
Big mistake. But he is still voted by the judges as the Jewish star.
What a shame.
Here is Avraham Ohayon up against Ohad... You make the decision. Remember also, that the Ohayon one is pre-recorded, while Ohad is raw and live.
I don't know why the judges made such a tremendous error. I think it was intended that way. I don't know.
But anyways, just to show how badly Avraham Ohayon did... here is his video up against the one who sang it... Ohad... Never try to copy a song that someone else sings 1000 times better than you. If you do want to sing the same song, then you need to do something to it to make it original and different than the compared singer.
Big mistake. But he is still voted by the judges as the Jewish star.
What a shame.
Here is Avraham Ohayon up against Ohad... You make the decision. Remember also, that the Ohayon one is pre-recorded, while Ohad is raw and live.

10 Comments:
By your arguement, Ohad himself should not have sung the song. He too is no better than the origional (even if he did change the words).
Though I do agree with you on Choni...
I disagree on Choni. He is already singing professionally all over South America and should've been disqualified for that very reason. Of course he sang great, but it was unfair of him to join. That's why i didn't choose him.
Benny, are you gonna compare Choni Teitelbaum to an eltere chossid singing from his heart too?
I think that Ohayon has an amazing voice with far reach that is unique and he should have won fair and square.
I also agree with their other winners and most of the comments given by Avraham Fried.
Ohayon may not be as good as the original, but he was fantastic.
And had Choni G not been performing professionally already all over SA, he'd be #1.
OKay, this will take time.
Leibel... Your comment undermines the albums and productions of Country Yossi, Shlock Rock and Rechnitzer Rejects etc etc...
I never heard the original Goyish version to hold Ohad accountable for his lack of originality.
While he does indeed copy the original Goyish version. He did however make it into Jewish words, so I will give him that to hold on to.
Avraham Ohayon didn't do that.
It's as if he's trying to sing one of MBD's biggest hits, but not reaching nearly as close.
Zv- Oy Zvi, Oy Zvi! What are we gonna' do with you?
When applying for a Jewish Star, the only people who would not have their applications accepted is someone who produced a professional recording in the past.
You would not oficially be allowed to apply, since you professionally sang in the Macabees production.
I would not be allowed, since I sand on that sing along Siddur.
In truth, Nissen Brenenson should have been disqualified, since he sings on that small wonder puppet theater "Miracles" video.
But Chony Grunblatt singing around SA has nothing to do with his application and he was by far the best one from the rest.
Avraham Ohayon also sings all around France... Check out youtube and do a search under his name.
And with regard to the judges and their lousy comments.
It was horrible.
The website clearly stated that the video is only to prove that you are the one singing... The judges were supposed to judge purely on the voice and musical capability.
Avraham Fried commented on Chony that he noticeably didn't pick up his hands, which showed that he lacked performing and entertainment skills... What a horrible thing to say.
Chony's video was a close up of his face. You even see him picking up his hand in some of the clips. So it was absolutely wrong as well.
The other dude also said that the video on Chony was horrible. How can you possibly agree with him on that, when video has absolutely nothing to do with your judgment and should have been a non-issue to begin with. They should have judged his voice. But they don't mention his voice at all.
Avraham Ohayon picked up his hands less than Chony did... Look at the video and it's quite clear to see.
The judges judged on absolute nonsense.
I can't believe that you agreed with them.
Chony should have taken Avraham Ohayon by a mile.
Anyways... What's done is done.
And this is Benny by the way. Not Sonia
And that's not to say that Chony chose a very easy song to sing. Anybody could have done that. But he chose an easy song and hit a homerun with it. He should have won fair and square.
Don't think that I hate Avraham Ohayon. He sings nice. But the positive reaction to his song was unfair. He didn't sing THAT well to deserve a top three spot.
He also goes off tune slightly at the 0:28 second mark.
For a pre-recorded song, that should not have been there.
He also hits the top of his pitch and strains slightly.
I know I'm scrutinizing him too much perhaps... I'm only reacting to the unfair positivity that he received.
Firstly, I made that commnet "Leshitoshcho"
Secondly, there is a massive difference between parody and copying. MBD COPIED Ghengis Kahn with "Yidden" while Rechnitzer Rejects makes PARODIES of other songs. Big difference.
Ohad's is a straight up copy with jewish words to make it Kosher. Whether or not he does it better is irrelevant.
The Goyish song has words that fit a tune, and mean something. (Yes, I know, it's empty and not the kind of meaning any Bochur should be listening too. be that as it may....) Ohad just took a random piece of Davenning, and stuck it in to that tune. Can he hit notes? sure. But the song just became a meaningless showcase of his singing capabalities.
Good music connects. Ohad's song is just a massive disconnect. As is Ohayons copy.
P.S.
Your singing on the Sing Along Siddur doesn't disqualify you from anything, it just proves what a tremendous human being you are ;-)
You are right of the difference between parody and copying... I give that to you.
But when comparing Avraham Ohayon to Ohad with the exact same words and all, it's clear that Ohayon is not a very good singer... Especially when he is flattened by Choni and the judges ignore that.
That was the only point I was trying to make.
I do agree that copying songs and putting hebrew words to them are silly... It makes it look like a Breslav "Rabbi Nachman" song that is never taken too seriously.
Benny, I found no youtube clips of Ohayon prior to a Jewish Star, which I think made him big in France (the only live clips I found were posted obviously AFTER ajewishstar since they referred to it in their message.
As for Choni, there's a ton of clips proving he was professionally working at least 9 months ago (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6j-YO1CK3g for example).
I agree that Choni should've won, but I think the reason he wasn't counted in is because he already has been singing professionally for a while on stage all over SA and they silently disqualified him. What they said were excuses, since as you write they were there to judge his voice, not his hands.
Yes, but having youtube clips alone is no reason to disqualify him and the rules on the website clearly said that...
The rules also disqualify someone "who is part of a band." whatever that means, Choni seems to fit the bill.
Either way, at least you missed the train wreck that was Ohayon trying to hit notes in Aleh Katan. Just dreadful. Yet the crowd loved it. Go figure.
Well, the truth is, it's over and a star is born...
I think that this will only grow and grow from here. It was such a success I think they will continue doing this for many years.
And I must admit... I didn't think the contest would get this kind of hype. I was proven wrong.
Post a Comment
<< Home