Another memorable post from the dearest brother on earth!!
Like I said, my brother is a Shliach in a very remote part of Russia. It's so amazing to read of his experiences over there and Hashgocho Protis that confronts him on a daily basis.
Here is another one of his amazing stories...
A few days before Chayale left to America, something amazing happened. SOmething I can probably farbreng with the bochurim in Moscow about.
I went to the notary to make a document allowing Chayale to travel overseas with Chaim, and when the business was done, the notary asked me (I get this often): "why do you walk around with your hat? There are many dangerous anti-Semites in Stavropol. It's not wise."
I responded by removing my hat, under which was a huge, bright blue Yarmulka. We all had a laugh, and then I told her that even if I were to wear a baseball cap, people would still know I was Jewish (since I need to wear tzitzis anyway). Besides, what kind of life is a life of fear? better to go back to Canada then live looking behind my back all the time. I finished by saying that the main reason I wear my hat is because I meet so many Jews that way, and even if they don't come over to say Shalom, at least it warms their heart to see a Rabbi, and lets them know that they have nothing to worry about.
We then left. Now I rarely walk in the street with Victoria (my secretary), but this time we had to do other business nearby (get a foosball table for Sunday school).
As we trudged through the mass of Russians, Victoria asked me if it's true that I meet people through wearing that hat, or if it has only happened two or three times. "It's really unsafe, Rabbi." She emphasized.
Before I could answer, my cell phone rang. I did the 'just a second' motion with my finger, and looked at the caller ID. Chaim Khanukayev!
Chaim is a young Jew who just finished college that I had had several phone conversations with. We had tried to meet several times, but it never worked out.
I put the phone to my ear.
"Rabbi, turn around!"
I turn around to see this young man walking toward me with arms outstretched.
I hugged Chaim with a huge Shalom! and then Chaim told me, "I was walking down the street, and suddenly saw your hat! I knew it had to be you!"
I immediately turned to Victoria and said, "this was not orchestrated!"
Here is another one of his amazing stories...
A few days before Chayale left to America, something amazing happened. SOmething I can probably farbreng with the bochurim in Moscow about.
I went to the notary to make a document allowing Chayale to travel overseas with Chaim, and when the business was done, the notary asked me (I get this often): "why do you walk around with your hat? There are many dangerous anti-Semites in Stavropol. It's not wise."
I responded by removing my hat, under which was a huge, bright blue Yarmulka. We all had a laugh, and then I told her that even if I were to wear a baseball cap, people would still know I was Jewish (since I need to wear tzitzis anyway). Besides, what kind of life is a life of fear? better to go back to Canada then live looking behind my back all the time. I finished by saying that the main reason I wear my hat is because I meet so many Jews that way, and even if they don't come over to say Shalom, at least it warms their heart to see a Rabbi, and lets them know that they have nothing to worry about.
We then left. Now I rarely walk in the street with Victoria (my secretary), but this time we had to do other business nearby (get a foosball table for Sunday school).
As we trudged through the mass of Russians, Victoria asked me if it's true that I meet people through wearing that hat, or if it has only happened two or three times. "It's really unsafe, Rabbi." She emphasized.
Before I could answer, my cell phone rang. I did the 'just a second' motion with my finger, and looked at the caller ID. Chaim Khanukayev!
Chaim is a young Jew who just finished college that I had had several phone conversations with. We had tried to meet several times, but it never worked out.
I put the phone to my ear.
"Rabbi, turn around!"
I turn around to see this young man walking toward me with arms outstretched.
I hugged Chaim with a huge Shalom! and then Chaim told me, "I was walking down the street, and suddenly saw your hat! I knew it had to be you!"
I immediately turned to Victoria and said, "this was not orchestrated!"

3 Comments:
Who's your dearest brother on Neptune?
Also, sababa story. Takk for sharing!
Zvi!
I got chills, they're multiplyin'!!! That is an awesome Shlichus Story!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home