Monday, July 27, 2009

Zuntig in Cabos.


These days, people on earth are crazy... and it all unfolds in front of me, while I sit here at the computer in Cabo San Lucas, biting my nails and drinking yummy, hot chocolate that Sonia made for me.

I've realized in the last few days just how quick people jump to judge systems and organized patterns that have been around for many, many years.
Let me give you some of these cases.
1. Last week, I listened online, while Barack Obama criticized the American health care system and pledged to work on an American "tax-paid" healthcare system.
While he obviously ignored the fact that millions and millions of people around the world flock to the US to get medical help, because that's the only place that will get the job done efficiently. He also seemed to me like a person who is blinded by his intense desire to control the citizens of 'his' country.
Now, while I agree that the healthcare system in the United States has many flaws and needs to be worked on urgently, in order to save lives of sick people who cannot afford coverage etc... I strongly maintain my opinion and knowledge that the "SYSTEM" of the healthcare idea is a perfect system.
Having a private healthcare system that gives millions of people the ability and 'choice,' to choose what kind of healthcare they want, thereby affording them their right to freedom and liberty is an essential part of America. If the insurance agencies are regulated properly, so that they do not end up exploiting the consumer (and the other way around, if regulations are set up, which would allow insurance agencies leeway with regard to silly medical malpractice lawsuits against them), then all would be lots more in order. But please, PLEASE! don't change the entire direction and system of the healthcare service. It will make people slaves to the country and take away their freedom.
2. I read the other day on Collive.com, about some girl who writes to the Shidduch blogger how she is having trouble dating and therefore thinks that the entire system that is set up for Frum dating is totally messed up. She attemps to solve the problem by suggesting that they totally remodel and redesign the approach to dating.
I couldn't believe the things I was reading. This girl is having a problem dating... Perhaps because she has issues. If she doesn't have issues, then the boy maybe has issues. If they both don't have issues, then they just didn't click and they should go out with other people.
But because this little 'pitzel' girl didn't have a good dating experience, therefore the entire Shidduch system of dating is MESSED UP??!!! Who the heck does this girl think she is?!!
I was fuming. People are so quick to jump to conclusions and decide what's best for everyone else.
3. Some woman (who's pops is Jewish) comes by the house today and we talked for almost four hours. During the conversation, she starts telling me how she is Jewish and she doesn't care what anybody tells her.
I tried to explain her that a person is only Jewish is their mom was Jewish, which she already knows... But she proceeds to interrupt me and tell me that she doesn't care what anybody else says. She is Jewish.
I was only able to smile at her and think to myself "Ummmm... Okaaayyy... Whatever"

How do we respond to that?
Every time I opened my mouth to respond logically how that makes absolutely no sense, she would cut me off with her "I don't care. I'm Jewish"

Anyways.

Tonight was a tough night for me. I had to finally do it.

There is a Bar Mitzva in two and a half weeks. Up until about a week ago, it was supposed to be a Kosher Bar Mitzvah. But I found out, that the woman is not able to make the Bar Mitzvah Kosher. It's too difficult for her to do it here in Cabo, where there is no Jewish establishment. You know... Hotels don't have the right equipment and stuff to supply Kosher.
I understood her. I wouldn't have been able to do the Hashgocho. I am going to be with the Bar Mitzvah boy the entire prayer etc... and I can't be running back and forth from the kitchen to the Shul.
So I told her that I understand and all. But then, when I got back home, I began to get noivous.
Anyways, on Friday things got worse.
I called a rov and asked him what I should do. He told me that if the Bar Mitzvah is not Kosher, then I cannot attend.
1 - It's not right for them to welcome their son into the Jewish faith with a non-Kosher festive meal. It is absolutely anti-Jewish.
2 - It would make a statement in the fresh and tender community, that the Rabbi is fine with showing up and validating events that are not Kosher. Which means that people here don't ever need to put in an effort to make their events Kosher.

I needed to tell her.

So tonight, I called the mom up and kindly visited her at her home.
I explained to her, that as difficult as it is for me to get mixed into the families private Bar Mitzvah arrangements, I will simply not be able to show up to a non Kosher event... Unless she agreed to put in the extra effort (and $700US) to make it Kosher.
I was shocked at how accepting she was of my speech and she told me that she will make sure that it's Kosher no matter what.
The only thing is, I'm supposed to help ease the burder on her. That means that I'm going to be working my tuches off in the next couple of weeks.
Another Hashgocho job. Yay!!

...

In other news. We finally found a farm, about 15 minutes from us, where we can go and watch them milk the cows and take their milk. The farmer even told me that he would throw in a whole bunch of freshly laid eggs too. How happy and lucky I am.

Tisha B'av is coming up. I am not excited at all, to say the least. This place is hot. When I say hot, I mean the hottest climate that I have ever been living in by far. I sweat and sweat and sweat.
An average day here is about 110 farhenheit. It's absolutely Meshugeh.

As far as fundraising is concerned, I'm going crazy too. I never thought that it would be this difficult to pick up a phone and ask people for money to help support our community.
That being, especially since every Friday night, when I ask people how business is doing, they all tell me the same thing "Horrible!!"... "There's no money at all"... "It's just starting to pick up slightly"...
Now tell me, how am I supposed to call these people two days later and ask them to give me money??!!

...

This past Shabbos was our busiest yet... Also difficult as anything.

On Thursday, at about 12pm, the water in our home goes off. The day was difficult because of it. Our house was a mess. To top it all off, when the cleaning lady came, she wasn't able to mop the floors or wash the dishes. Again, there was no water.
I went to the water company and asked what this is all about. The lady told me that they were working in the Center of the city and the water would be back on at night.
Lo and behold, at about 9pm, the water went back on. Yay!
At 12am - midnight, - the water shuts off again. Shux!
The next morning, there is water again. Yay!
At about 9am, the water goes off again. Shux. Actually, big shux. It's Friday and we have lots of cooking and cleaning to do.
I telephone the water company about it. After about an hour, the woman tells me that the water is going to be off for the rest of the day, but it will be on in the morning. I need to be strong, because I'm not expecting Sonia to be strong on this real busy Friday.
So I quickly think. I run to the store and buy 80 liters of water... That's 8 huge 10 liter water bottles.
We will use 1 bottle each to shower. 1 or two bottles to wash the minimal amount of dishes and floors.
Then we will put a bottle in each bathroom, and tell congregants to pour a bunch of water into the toilet when they finish using it, apologizing at the technical difficulty that we are having.
We are also supposed to have guests for Shabbos. So that will stink!

Before Shabbos, our cleaning lady tells us that there's a truck that can come and fill up our water cistern outside for about $100US. I agree. We can't slap our congregants with this inconvenience.

An hour and a half later, the truck shows up and he charges me only $80US. Nice of him.

A half hour before Shabbos, Sonia had arranged a pre-Shabbos kiddie program. Four Goyim showed up.
Friday night was nice. The Minyan showed up at 'Al tira'... But the meal was inspiring and fun.
Shabbos day... This was the first time that I had tried to get a Minyan for Shabbos day together. I made phone calls on Friday, and about 12 people had told me that they will show up. only 4 people were there, including myself and the Shabbos guest.
We Davvened and it was nice. But I was sort of upset. One day we will have a nice Shabbos day Minyan though. You'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try and arrange a Shabbos day minyan once a month.

Anyways, that's about everything going on in my life now... tty.

Gutte nacht.
I will try and update this a bit more often. You know. Like twice a week instead of once.

2 Comments:

Blogger le7 said...

You thought the girls question was stupid?

I though the reply was worse. (Yes, give advice by attacking the person asking?)

And the comments were even worse. They are all judgmental.

I just don't agree with the point that if you meet someone on your own (I mean meet as in run into them and learn of their existence) that you shouldn't do anything to set it up because you should have faith that someone else will do it for you...

Monday, July 27, 2009  
Blogger the Mitzvah man! said...

I will respond in the next post.

Monday, July 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Website Counter